This subject along with many others are quite common.
D3, also known as cholecalciferol, is a supplement that helps your body absorb calcium.
If your doctor has prescribed this medication, take as directed by your doctor. If you are using the liquid form of this medication, carefully measure the dose using a special measuring device/spoon.
Place each dose on the tongue, allow it to dissolve completely, and then swallow it with saliva or water. You do not need to take this medication with water. Certain medications (bile acid sequestrants such as cholestyramine/colestipol, mineral oil, orlistat) can decrease the absorption of vitamin D. Take your doses of these medications as far as possible from your doses of vitamin D (at least 2 hours apart, longer if possible).
It may be easiest to take vitamin D at bedtime if you are also taking these other medications. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day if you are taking it once a day.
If you are taking this medication only once a week, remember to take it on the same day each week. It may help to mark your calendar with a reminder. Do not take other supplements/vitamins unless ordered by your doctor.
If you think you may have a serious medical problem, get medical help right awa.
What Is Cholecalciferol?
Cholecalciferol is vitamin D3. Cholecalciferol is used as a dietary supplement in people who do not get enough vitamin D in their diets to maintain adequate health.
Cholecalciferol may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
1. Elevated Blood Levels
In order for vitamin D to reach toxic or dangerous levels in the body, it needs to exceed 100 nanograms (ng) per mL. Recommendations on optimal vitamin D levels vary, but research suggests that levels between 30–60 ng/mL are likely optimal and may help protect against illness and disease Even when taking high dose vitamin D supplements, it’s unlikely that a healthy person’s blood vitamin D levels would come close to reaching excessive or toxic levels. Most cases of vitamin D toxicity are caused by inappropriate supplement dosing and prescription errors. Summary Vitamin D levels greater than 100 ng/mL may be harmful.
Toxicity symptoms have been reported at extremely high blood levels in cases where people took megadoses (very high doses) of vitamin D supplements for extended periods of time.